略記 - Brief History

創建 (Foundation)

明治31年11月3日 (November 3, 1898)

(旧天長節・明治節、文化の日 - the Emperor's Birthday in those days, Culture Day)


日本国外最古の神社 (Oldest Jinja Outside of Japan)

当宮は明治31年11月3日、日本人労働者の公休日であった当時の天長節(天皇誕生日)に「大和神社」として、旧新町ピオピオ街(現在のカメハメハ大王像そば)に初代宮司合志覚太(熊本県出身、砂糖黍畑の労働者として来布)により創建された、日本国外における最古の由緒を持つ神社です。

Hilo Daijingu (Old Yamato Jinja) was established on November 3, 1898 (the Emperor's Birthday in those days) as the first Shinto shrine outside of Japan at Piopio Street, near the present King Kamehameha I Statue, Old Shinmachi district, by Rev. Kakuta Koshi, an immigrant from Kumamoto.

創建当時の記録に「御祭神は伊勢の両大神、宮中奉斎の諸神」とあり、また現地邦字紙が「日本八百万神の布哇出稼ー天照大神八幡宮清正公三柱神の諸神」と伝えておりますことから、九州出身者をはじめ、全ての日系移民が各々の故郷の氏神様とのご縁を繋ぐ、心のよりどころとして創建されたと思われます。

The local Japanese newspaper wrote; "All Kami in Japan migrant to Hawaii - Amaterasu Okami, Hachimangu, the soul of Lord Kato Kiyomasa and others." Amaterasu Okami was well-known as total protector of Japanese, and the other two Kami are famous Kami in Kyushu Island, there is Usa Hachimangu in Oita Prefecture and Lord Kato was the Lord of Kumamoto. It means there was the symbol of all Japanese immigrants for feeling the tie with their own birthplace Kami.

大正7年11月3日当時のヒロ大神宮 Old Hilo Daijingu (11/03/1918)


ヒロ大神宮の最盛期 (The Golden Age)

二代目の合志実行(実男)の頃、神社地が借地であったことにより二度遷座、最終的にワイロア河口、旧椰子島地区のマノノ街へと移転しました。

Rev. Jikko Koshi, the second Guji, moved the shrine two times because the land was leased. It was finally moved to Manono Street, Old Yashijima district near the Wailoa river. 

最盛期にはハワイ全島に分社・講社が設けられ、婦人会・青年会・処女会などの奉仕団体も充実しておりました。

Hilo Daijingu had some branch shrines and religious associations in all parts of this island in those days and many confraternities such as the women's, the young men's and the young girls' associations.

二代目宮司 合志実行 (Rev. Jikko Koshi, the second Guji)


日米開戦による活動停止 (Layoff by Japan-U.S. War)

三代目の工藤勇宮司(合志宮司の娘婿)が就任した翌年の昭和17年12月7日、真珠湾攻撃により日米開戦、工藤宮司は即日逮捕・抑留された後、捕虜交換船で帰国しました。

The Japan-U.S. war was outbreak in December 7, 1941 by the Pearl Harbor attack. Rev. Isamu Kudo, the third Guji, who took over a year prior and Rev. Koshi's son-in-law, was arrested detained; However he took over a year before. He went back to Japan by a captive repatriation ship and never returned.

社殿は米国陸軍により接収され、昭和30年にハワイの神社で一番最後に財産が返還され、地元の古老、菅野長之助(福島県出身)を四代目(臨時)の宮司として活動を再開するまでの約15年間活動停止状態となりました。

Properties were forfeited by the U.S. Army and was not able to be active for approximately 15 years until it was returned as last Shinto shrine in Hawaii in 1955 and Rev. Chonosuke Kanno, the fourth (temporary) Guji, took over and restarted the activity.

三代目宮司 工藤勇 (Rev. Isamu Kudo, the third Guji)


大津波からの復興 (Reconstruction from the Tsunami)

昭和34年、五代目の宮崎昭和宮司が日本から招かれ、本格的な活動再開が期待されましたが、翌昭和35年5月23日未明に襲来したチリ大地震の大津波により社殿が流失しました。

Rev. Akio Miyazaki, the fifth Guji, was invited from Japan and took over in 1959. Although it was expected to become more active, the shrine was washed away by the tsunami of the earthquake in Chile that struck Hilo in May 23, 1960.

その後およそ3年間オノメア・キャンプの石鎚神社に仮遷座、被災地区の公園化に伴い現在地に移転することになりました。地元のメンバー(氏子崇敬者)が土日を利用して造営奉仕し、昭和41年に現社殿、同45年にホール(直会殿)が竣工、日本から徳川宗敬神宮大宮司ご参列のもと、総合復興造営落成奉祝大祭が盛大に行われました。

Hilo Daijingu was then moved to Old Ishizuchi Jinja in Onomea Camp for approximately 3 years. Hilo Daijingu moved and rebuilt in the present location because the stricken area became to a state park. Members did volunteer work every Saturday and Sunday. The shrine (the main sanctuary and the worship hall) was completed in 1966, the hall (Naorai-den or Activity Center) was completed in 1970. The grand completion ceremony was performed with attending of Rev. Muneyoshi Tokugawa, Daiguji (the great chief priest) of Ise Jingu.


かつてハワイ島に数多くあった神社も、現在では当宮を残すのみとなり、現在はハワイ全島の総鎮守として崇敬を集めております。

There were a lot of Shinto shrines on this island, but all are already extinct. Today Hilo Daijingu is known as the total guardian Kami of this island.


平成11年に六代目の渡邉大蔵宮司(新潟県出身)が就任、翌平成12年には創建百年大祭が行われました。

Rev. Daizo Watanabe, the sixth Guji, took over in 1999. The centennial of the foundation was held in 2000.


平成25年より現宮司(堀田尚宏宮司)が奉仕しております。

Rev. Naohiro Hotta, presently the seventh Guji, took over in 2013.


歴代宮司 (Former Ministers)

初代(創立者)

合志覚太 (Rev. Kakuta Kōshi, the first Gūji/founder)

在任期間: 1898 - 1902

出身地: 熊本県 (Kumamoto)

二代目 合志実行(実男) (Rev. Jikkō [Jitsuo] Kōshi, the second Gūji)

在任期間: 1902 - 1940

出身地: 熊本県 (Kumamoto)

三代目 工藤 勇 (Rev. Isamu Kudō, the third Gūji)

在任期間: 1940 - 1941

出身地: 熊本県 (Kumamoto)

四代目 菅野長之助 (Rev. Chōnosuke Kan'no, the fourth Gūji)

在任期間: 1955-1958

出身地: 福島県伊達郡 (Date, Fukushima)

五代目 宮崎昭和 (Rev. Akio Miyazaki, the fifth Gūji)

在任期間: 1959 - 1999

出身地: 北海道室蘭市 (Muroran, Hokkaidō)

六代目 渡邊大蔵 (Rev. Daizō Watanabe, the sixth Gūji)

在任期間: 1999 - 2013

出身地: 新潟県燕市 (Tsubame, Niigata)

七代目 堀田尚宏 (Rev. Naohiro Hotta, the seventh Gūji)

在任期間: 2013 - 現在 (present)

出身地: 岐阜県養老郡 (Yōrō, Gifu)